I recently saw a photo of a friend’s groceries that she had just purchased back in the US which got me thinking about how I couldn’t buy any of those things here. Instead, I have to make most things from scratch, which was something I have learned only since moving to a country where things are not ready-made. This made me want to compile a list of things, both food and otherwise, that I’ve learned so far from my change in geographical location.
So without further adieu, here are a few things I’ve learned thus far, starting with some of the food stuff:
- Cream of chicken soup doesn’t have to come out of a can. Neither does any kind of soup and homemade actually tastes better! Who knew?
- Salad dressings are super easy to make if you are willing to be creative, though I can’t wait to get a salad covered in Ken’s Thousand Island when I go home.
- Every Southern woman should know how to fry chicken and should go out and learn right now if she doesn’t.
- Spending $8 on a good square of cheese is necessary at times.
- Boxed milk is a poor substitute for the real thing.
- The apple is the most reliable fruit God created.
- Cooking an entire meal from scratch, while exhausting, is supremely rewarding.
- Two flavors of yogurt don’t cut it for me. Wait, there’s three now they added the ever-flashy vanilla to the line-up.
- Heavy cream cannot be duplicated here in any way I find appealing, very sad if you know how much I love it.
Some other thoughts that are not cooking related:
- I miss the beach and being very far from one makes me miss it even more.
- September – December is the most painful time of year to be away from home.
- It is crushes my heart to tell my three-year-old repeatedly she can’t go to her Nanna’s house, or her cousin’s house until next year.
- I am very privileged compared to much of the world.
- I still need to grow up in so many ways–whatever that means.
- God can use my passions for His glory. I wished I had known this when I was eighteen.
- He also uses places of isolation and loneliness to get our attention in ways he could not otherwise.
- It is probably not a great idea to blog when I’m homesick.
And there are probably about fifty other things I could write, but that’s enough soul-bearing for a Tuesday. I hope Wednesday is a bit lighter. We are all learning something about life wherever we are, right? What’s something you’ve been learning lately?