It’s 2:30 am on our second day here. About an hour ago we all woke up and tried to fall back asleep, but our bodies are confused and think we’ve just had a really long nap and now it’s time for dinner. We had some crackers, beef jerky and potato chips to try to fill our bellies until breakfast. Mine is still grumbling for something more substantive— a baked potato, some grilled chicken, yeast rolls and key lime pie come to mind.

We tried to go back to sleep. For about twenty minutes everyone lay in their beds—eyes wide open. So we got back up and put on a movie for the kids. They are slightly grumpy, but not tired enough to sleep.

Yesterday Jon and I accomplished the task of getting cell phones. This is my first cell phone of my very own—amazing I know. It’s a local brand and has some cool features, including an entire keyboard so texting is easy and for me, which is essential or a simple message can take me ten minutes to type.

We have been fortunate to have friends here that have taken care of us these first few days, which is a giant blessing. Even though we have been here before, it was never with three kids and 25 bags to manage after 28 hours of travel!

Our next order of business is to find a place to live, which is no small task. I need a place that I can make a home. We haven’t had a permanent home since leaving Dallas in December and we all are longing for one. But it’s complicated here—apartment hunting is quite tricky and you have to be cautious.

Well that’s enough for now. But I will leave you with a funny little story.

We have an extra mattress in our hotel room for the kids and everyday when the maid cleans she takes the sheets for it and doesn’t replace them. So every night we’ve had to call and ask for them. The first night I called and asked for two extra sheets. The bellhop came up and rang our door. Jon opened it and looked at me, puzzled. I looked at the bellhop and he was standing there holding four sheets of white copy paper. So Jon explained, more with hand gestures than words, that what we really needed was bed sheets. He left and promptly brought the right sheets. Just the first of many miscommunications.


3 thoughts on “jet-lagged

  1. Kim, I have to say, that’s a funny story. I’m so glad you made it safely and hope that you all can adjust soon and sleep. I’m praying you find the right apartment. What are the apartments like over there? How do you know which one is right? Are they all privately owned? Sorry, I don’t know how any of that works there. I’m curious. Hang in there. I’m excited for you and also sad because I miss you! Talk to you soon.

    • They are privately owned, usually it’s like three or four separate floors and each floor is an apartment. We’ll be on what we would call the second floor.

  2. Ugh…jet-lag is no fun! I’m sorry about that, Kim. But it seems like you’re definitely looking on the bright side of things…nicely done! And I loved the funny story of the bellhop. haha

    Well, you are all sorely missed, but I hope y’all adjust quickly and that finding a place to live will be soon! I love you all so much!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s